Thursday, February 3, 2011

What Dreams May Come

I'm a dreamer...and a realist, but really I'm a dreamer...literally.  My sleeping dreams are vivid and colorful and powerful and more often than not, come true on some level.  I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say psychic, cuz that would be just weird, but my dreams definitely have significance.  Actually, I think everyone's dreams probably have significance.  I believe that when we dream something that is so real and so true to our hearts and souls that we can remember it in the morning, it is usually a way for our subconscious to tell our conscious to wake the hell up, because there is something in our real lives that needs our attention.

I'm no expert, and I don't really have any knowledge about dream meanings or interpretation, but I do know this...

I know that when my great grandma died, before anyone ever told me she had passed in the middle of the night, her and I sat together on my bed in the wee hours of the morning (it was around 3:30 in my head) had a very clear conversation and she hugged me and told me good bye.  When I woke up in the morning the first words out of my mouth were Grandma Beulah died.  No one had spoken to me.  She died around 4 that morning.

I also know that when my grandpa died, almost the same exact thing happened.  Only this time I knew it was a dream (one of those ones where I wanted to force myself awake, but I knew it was too important and that I needed to know how it ended), and he came to me in my dream and we sat at his dining room table while Patches (his black lab) played in the back yard, and I begged him not to go.  He told me he had to and he patted my hand and walked out the sliding glass doors and into his massive backyard that backed up to a woods...I watched him walk across the yard where my great grandma Beulah (his mom) was waiting for him, and together they waved at me and walked into the woods.  I hated that dream.  I loved my grandpa with all my heart and I was so relieved when I woke in the morning to find that he was still alive.  It wasn't until later that afternoon, that we got the news.  He had a heart attack on his way across the Mississippi (on his favorite bridge) while stuck in construction, and the EMT's did all they could, but...

(Side note:  I sat under that very bridge this summer while waiting for my best friends to finish RAGBRAI, and I can see why my Papa loved the river and that dirty river town so much.  In the middle of all the chaos that was my summer of 2010, I sat under my grandpa's bridge and I remembered what life was really all about, and I knew in that moment, in my heart, that everything was going to be ok.  Thanks Pop's...the original JP, I still love you and miss you every single day!)

Other times, I've dreamt of things only to find myself having erie De-Ja-Vu type experiences in the following days or weeks, and I've found many many misplaced items over my lifetime only by concentrating hard enough on them in my dreams.  Nope, I'm no expert, but I know now that when my dreams talk I better phucking listen. 

Dreams, I believe, are the doorways to our souls and lately I've had some real doozies!!!  (ARE YOU KIDDING ME????...THIS is what my soul is thinking?!?!  Flippin craptastic!!!  Guess I'm a bit girlier than I've previously given myself credit for..phucking sweet.)  And, NO, for the record, I haven't been drinking and I don't do drugs (duh, triathlon IS my drug :)).  I'm just a little shocked at the moment trying to figure out what all these recent dreams mean to me.  And, what it is exactly that my subconscious is trying to tell me.  Whatever it is though, it's screaming pretty loudly the same freaking visions over and over again night after night.  Apparently, the subconscious has a thing or two to say about some recent events in my life.  Really??...me with something to say??...shocking, I know!  Haha!  (Would love to give my subconscious a shot of whiskey and tell it to shut the hell up right about now, but I'm not even sure that would help...darn life lessons anyway, screwing with my REM!  Giving me bags under my eyes and shit...hello, I'm 35, extra eye baggage is NOT welcome!  Geesh! :))

For now though, I'm guess I'll just have to sit back and wait for the De-Ja-Vu moment to happen...it always kind of unnerves me when it does (freaky business I say!!!), even though I know it's coming.  (Tick-tock...Hey Karma, you could hurry up and I wouldn't really complain too much...just sayin.  Thanks! :))  And, when I figure out whatever this great life lesson that I'm positive I'm about to learn is, I'll be sure to pass it on.  In the meantime, if anyone knows anything about dream interpretation, (or giving shots of whiskey to our subconscious selves) by all means, let me know.  I have some questions...just a few (like a maybe a dozen...or more *shrug* :)). 

Wonder what I'll dream about tonight...

Tell me friends...what do your dreams mean to you???

No comments:

Post a Comment