Friday, January 14, 2011

Balancing Act

When I started journaling my life in this blog I wanted to include almost every aspect of my life (yes, ALMOST every aspect...it's good for a girl to keep a few things private - helps to protect the innocent or not so innocent depending on the case ;)).  My main goal is to keep it real, keep it honest, keep it raw (obviously, I've put things out here that I never thought I would admit to anyone ever, and yet I've put it on a public blog...it doesn't get much more raw than that), and keep all my balls in the air at one time.  As I become more immersed in my training for the year, I find it necessary to work a little harder not just at the gym, but also to attempt to find an appropriate balance in this juggling act of life. 

My current circus act includes; being a proud parent to an extremely active and bright 8 year old boy (the very center of my universe...he is my sun and my planet revolves around him), sharing custody of my boy with my ex husband on a bi-weekly basis, training for _________ (a half IM, a half marathon, RAGBRAI, XTERRA, and countless other running, tri, and cycling events that will come up along the way), working a FT regular job as an administrative assistant, working a PT retail job at a local mall a few nights a week, teaching group fitness classes at my gym, studying to become an ACE personal trainer, and doing laundry.  (Yeah, safe to say, I'm just a little busy...sometimes overwhelmed, but really just one very busy girl.)

Lately, my enthusiasm for training has sort of taken over this already hectic life (hey, when I decide to do something, I go all out...call it excitement, or dedication, or whatever, but it's balls to the wall baby, that's just how I roll), and the results that I'm already feeling in my bike and running performance are amazing!!!...I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!  However, all this time spent on the bike, or in the gym, is unfortunately NOT getting my laundry or studying done (apparently it doesn't do itself, who knew???)...and it occurred to me last night as I was climbing on the bike for an hour and a half ride (in non padded running shorts, yikes!...for the second time this week, double yikes!) that I had not done laundry for 3 weeks!  UGH!!!  Ok, so maybe it's time to sit back and re-evaluate my current schedule and make a few adjustments to try to get just a bit more balance in my life. 

My normal schedule runs something like this (on weeks I don't have my boy)...
  • Monday - Work 8:30-5, then bike/run/lift from 5:30-10 (ish)
  • Tuesday - Work 8:30-5, then work 5:30-10
  • Wednesday - Work 8:30-5, then bike/run/lift from 5:30-10 (ish)
  • Thursday - Work 8:30-5, then work 5:30-10
  • Friday - Work 8:30-5, then swim from 5:30-7
  • Saturday - run/swim/lift from 8-noon (ish)
  • Sunday - bike 9-11, then run/elliptical/bike/lift from 3-6 (ish)...I would like to add an hour of boxing in there too from like 1-2 if I can find someone to let me use a bag. 
(Yeah, it's a training heavy life...told ya, I have big ass race goals for this year and I plan to be fast!...this is the life of a 35 year-old, 3 job carrying, single parent triathlete...one who will be walking around in stinky clothes if I don't make some changes to this schedule quick, or start pulling all nighters. :))

So, it's maybe time to make some adjustments...just a few here and there, to gain a bit more balance and perspective in my life.  After all, I do LOVE training, but if I keep this schedule up, it's guaranteed that my enthusiasm will wain and I will eventually burn out on it, and THAT will have very negative effects on my race day performance. 

And, I can't possibly come home every night at 10 and expect to have the time or energy to get done what needs to get done at home.  (Sad fact: the last time I sat on my couch was probably a good 2 weeks ago!...and the last time I cooked a meal at my home was maybe 3 weeks ago!...I usually come home and go straight to the shower and bed, which means I'm spending an awful lot on rent for a house with space that I'm not using...blah!)  Starting next week, I'm going to try to be home every non-working night by 7 and see how that works.  I'm sure it's still not a perfect solution, but at least it's a start. 

Tell me friends, followers (and possible blog stalkers :)), what kinds of things do you do to help you maintain your own balancing act? 

1 comment:

  1. K...you and I need to talk...in person. I have ideas, but need to run them by you.

    At the current rate of exercising, you are going to burnout with overtraining. Once overtraining has occurred, you will most likely need to take about 2 months completely off to get yourself back on track. Overtraining will negatively affect your race day performance, which you don't want to do!! Call me so we can find time in your busy schedule to meet and discuss!!

    ReplyDelete