Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Sing Off

Wanna know how you can tell when you've fully embraced a carefree and no fear kind of life?  When you sing in public! 

It's true!  Think about it!  In my opinion, nothing puts us out there more or makes us more vulnerable to criticism by others than singing.  Why else would programs like American Idol be so successful?!?! 

Myself, I don't sing!  I just don't!  I'm terrible...actually, I'm worse than terrible if that's even possible.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE music (obviously!) but as for me singing anywhere other than in my shower or my car (alone in both cases) FOR-GET-IT!!!!  No way in hell!!!  Not happening!  If my life depended on it, the answer would still be NO!  (My child even tells me not to sing in front of him, and I NEVER sang in front of my ex either, and we were married for 13 years!)

I've just never really been comfortable putting myself out there like that...way too self conscious I guess, go figure!  (Remember, I have issues. LOL :)).  Only a weird (and by weird I mean embarrassing!) thing happened yesterday, and I guess looking back, I would have to consider it pretty significant on the personal growth spectrum.  It took me (and everyone with me I'm sure!) completely by surprise...I started singing without even thinking about it in a car full of coworkers!  UGH!!!  EMBARRASSED...oh hell yes!!!  But, then again...eh...so what?!?! 

So I suck, this is nothing new to these guys I'm sure (Dear Coworkers: if you are reading this, then zip it!!...no comments necessary from the peanut gallery :)).  LOL.  And, what do I care, really??  The world did not end or come to a screeching halt (it probably should have!) and I was having fun...hey, it was Jimmy Buffet in the middle of winter in Iowa, how could I not be drawn in by the tropics?! 

What was more surprising to me than the fact that I was actually singing in front of people for the first time in my life, was the fact that I was doing so without even thinking about it.  It happened subconsciously and without warning, and in the process I think it made me realize I'm finally coming into a place of total acceptance of myself.  I guess maybe I just really don't care anymore what people think of me.  This is who I am and I'm embracing it, bad voice and all. 

I think going forward I'm going to keep on singing in public (in small amounts...don't expect me to get up and sing karaoke anytime soon though, no matter how many shots of Templeton are involved!), and maybe even out on the bike course, or while we are running...why not?!?!  If you don't like it or it offends you, then I suggest you get some earplugs my friends, cuz now that my voice is out...I'm not putting it back, no matter how badly it sounds!  (Sorry in advance!!!)  :)

Mark Twain said it best...
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.”

No comments:

Post a Comment