Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Another Challenge...1000 miles in 2011

I received a challenge today from a friend and fellow runner via http://www.thedailymile.com/.  The challenge is to commit to running 1000 miles in 2011.  That's about 19 miles a week, or 2.75 miles a day.  Interesting idea (thanks Spencer!)...

Well...I can never (did I say never?...I meant NEVER!) turn down a challenge and considering the racing and training schedule that I've set up for myself this year, I don't think that it should be a problem to average 19 miles a week ("think" is the key word in there...remember, I'm a master paver on the road to hell with it's good intentions :)).  1000 miles of running in a year is still 1000 miles of running in a year (that's like 3 extra pair of running shoes just for this new adventure alone!!!, crap, that's A LOT of shoes and those suckers ain't cheap I'm learning...ahhh, I miss my free running shoes *sad face*).  This challenge will however require me to become much more disciplined about actually logging my mileage (gasp!, the horror!!)...either that or figure out the darn Garmin computer interface and let the GPS log the miles for me. 

Yep, that's right...I'm a distance runner, an endurance athlete, and I'm willing to take on extreme challenges of all kind, but I am freaking L-A-Z-Y when it come to logging shit.  I know to some serious athletes out there this puts me in the category of an uncommitted runner/triathlete, but honestly, it's usually the farthest thing from my mind when I get done working out.  My post workout routine is; shower, beer, bed...usually in that order (hey, sometimes I mix it up and drink the beer first, or maybe I'll take a quick nap before hitting the shower), but no where in my current routine do I ever take the time to log my workout stats or my feelings about it. 

My running has always been sort of a therapy for me, a mental mind break from all the over analyzing that I tend to do in my "normal" life, so why the heck would I want to add an OCD component to it?  Anyone who knows me well knows that with something like this, there is a risk that I could very easily go to extreme places with it (sometimes, unhealthy places...I admit it, I'm aware of my limitations and have learned to work within my boundaries where my OCD/ADD/ADHD brain is concerned).  The extremes I go to with racing and the mentality I've developed around that is bad enough!  (My personal race motto: If I'm not puking and in pain at the end, then I didn't go hard enough.  Go big or go home, right Schaben?!?! :)) 

So I'm enthusiastically taking on this challenge of 1000 miles in 2011, realizing that it will be more work for me than just logging miles, but it could be good for me too.  A new sort of self discipline.  Discipline to actually LOG the miles both physically with my feet and on thedailymile.com, and discipline to keep myself from letting my OCD take over when I know it's going to want to.  Not sure yet which task will be harder :). 

Stay tuned for the progress...or check it out for yourself on www.thedailymile.com if you're interested in joining the challenge. 

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~Confucius

No comments:

Post a Comment