Friday, December 10, 2010

Skipping Christmas

I think perhaps I've decided to just go ahead and skip Christmas this year.  This is in no way me being a Grinch.  It's me being partially lazy and too darn busy with life to get wrapped up in the retail driven hustle and bustle.  Between working 3 jobs, playing taxi for my boy, training for a half marathon and next year's half Ironman and studying my ACE materials, something has to give.  This year that something is Christmas. 

Don't get me wrong, I'll still celebrate the spirit of family and friends, but the decorating and over the top gift giving...it's just not for me.  Is that really the true meaning of Christmas?  And, more importantly, is that the message that I want to give to my boy of what Christmas is all about? 

Until this year, my son has thought that Christmas is all about the presents he receives.  I want him to know that it's so much more than that.  That this year some of the best gifts we can give don't come with gift receipts or batteries.  Giving a friend our time, volunteering to help someone less fortunate than us, and opening our hearts to those around us...those are the gifts we should be offering, and they shouldn't be offered on only one day of the year, they should be gifts we give all the time whenever the need arises.

I've mentioned before that I'm not overly spiritual or religious...I'm not.  To me Christmas isn't, and never has been, a religious holiday.  I'm sorry if this offends anyone, that is not my intention, this is just my point of view.  What Christmas really means to me though is that I get to spend a few hours (or a day) completely dedicated to my family and friends.  Something that in this chaotic and hectic life that we all lead is a gift in itself.  It's turning off the computer and the cell phone for that dedicated amount of time and focusing solely on being in the moment with those in my life who I love and respect the most.  I don't need fancy trimmings or gifts to make Christmas "Christmas". 

This year on Christmas day, I've decided to give my time back to the Ronald McDonald house...an organization that is very near and dear to my heart.  As for what I want for Christmas this year, I'm a simple girl with simple needs...a little bit of love, monkey bread for breakfast, some quality time with my boy and my family, and maybe a glass of wine or two with friends...that's all I want for Christmas this year. 

Merry Christmas World!!!  May all your wishes and dreams come true for you this year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment