Thursday, December 9, 2010

Truth or Dare

Ok, what is it about us endurance athletes that makes us mentally incapable of turning down a challenge?!?!  I mean seriously!  If I keep up at this pace, I'm going either going to be racing every single weekend for the next year, or I'm going to end up in jail (hey, a dares a dare, and I just can't say no to a dare or a challenge...knowing some of my friends and our wicked senses of humor, jail may not be that far fetched!). Good thing my running group is heavily loaded with lawyers and judges...it's good to know people!

Up until I started this endurance adventure 4+ years ago, I had no idea that I had a single competitive bone in my body.  I was simply very content going through my life taking group aerobics classes at my gym, logging a few miles on the treadmill, beating the hell out of a boxing bag and running the occasional 5k...I was blissfully unaware that another world existed and was waiting for me to come crashing through it's atmosphere.  So how is it exactly that I got here?!?!  To this place where I find myself in this alternate universe full of amazing friends who are Ironman finishers, and marathon runners, and semi professional cyclists?!?! 

Thinking back, it started with simple game of truth or dare (while drinking Black Velvet with marshmallows...can you see where this is going?, yeah me too...no good can come of this).  I don't remember what the "truth" question was posed by my best friend's husband (the one with the REALLY randy sense of humor...something about the BV and marshmallows also tends to cloud the judgement AND memory), but the dare seemed absolutely retarded at the time, run a 20K (12.4 miles) with him in less than 4 weeks.  I was all in for taking my chances with the "truth", until he said these 4 words..."unless you're too chicken"!  Oh no he didn't!!!!  Then, they were strategically followed with..."I don't think you can anyway, you're just a girl who does step class, you can't run."  Hook...line...and sinker!  Son of a bitch...I was phucked!  I got online and signed up that night...$65 later and there was absolutely no way I was backing out.  (Note: anyone who's ever run any significant distance knows that you can't, or shouldn't, go from running 3 miles to 12.4 miles in less than 4 weeks.  This is a very very...did I say very?!?!...very bad idea!!!!) 

Well, I survived!!  It was painful, but I did it.  Then my best friend's husband looked at me, not even 5 minutes after crossing the finish line and said..."great job kid, now let's see you try a triathlon, unless you're too chicken".  Son of a bitch!  And just as I'm about to punch him in the arm, he follows quickly with..."that's ok, forget I said anything, you couldn't handle the swim or the training involved".  Mother f-er!  Here we go again! 

Side note: I think there should be an immediate amendment to the BFF code to states that all best friends get to approve, disapprove, or veto the potential spousal choices of their BFF's...just a suggestion!  (Just kidding J, you know I love you and I wouldn't be half the person I am today without your influence in my life!!!  Thank you for being you, for being my friend, and for being a Schaben! :))

By the end of that summer there was no looking back!  I had crash landed into this parallel universe and I was loving every single minute of it.  The moment I crossed the finish line of my first sprint tri with cowbells ringing in the background, all I could think was...OMG, when can I do that again?!?!  I don't think I was feeling overly competitive that day, I finished 5th from last, but the point is that I finished.  The next year I got a little better, and the challenges got a little bigger.  Then I hooked up with the most amazing running group this side of the Mississippi, Team Vardo, and the whole universe exploded with possibilities...the dares and the challenges haven't stopped!  Who knew there were so many options available for endurance junkies.  (Yes, I said junkie.  I'm an addict, deal with it.  I do!) 

Now, here I am, 4+ years later...one marathon, a half dozen or so half marathons, part of RAGBRAI (will be amended this year to a full RAGBRAI) and a whole lot of tri's under my feet.  The adventures, challenges and dares never seem to end...I'm pretty sure I don't want them too either!  Next year I'm thinking of adding a little Cyclo Cross and XTERRA to the mix, just for the hell of it...anyone want to dare me to?! LOL  ( BIG BIG thank you Team Vardo, and TDR!!...TDR, I think I've decided that you are potentially going to be the death of me, bunch of bad influences, but I'm sure going to have a good time with you guys along the way!! :))

My mom asked me once when I planned to rest, I told her I can rest when I'm dead, until then there is ________  (insert event of the week/month/year) to train for.  You all are welcome to come train with me too...unless you're too chicken :).


An amendment to the 2011 Race Calendar:  (the following events have been added...thanks TDR! :))
  • Omaha 9 Mile Off Road Race (AKA - LHF on crack apparently!...sweet!) - Spring/TBA
  • Relay Iowa (relay run across the state) - June-ish

3 comments: